My reading life was off to a rocky start this year. I fell into a massive book slump and nothing sounded good. For some reason I felt a crazy amount of pressure about what book I would make my First Book of the Year and nothing felt good enough. So my first few books weren’t great, but I did manage to read quite a few books and a number of them were quite excellent.
Books Read: 15
Favorite Book(s) I Read This Month:
Now You See Me (Lacey Flint #1) by SJ Bolton and Making Faces by Amy Harmon. Two very different kind of books, both fantastic.
Books Read in 2017 Overall: 15
Books Reviewed: 4
Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham – 4 Stars
RoseBlood by A.G. Howard – 3 Stars
Now You See Me (Lacey Flint #1) by SJ Bolton – 4 Stars
Still Life (Chesapeake Valor #2) by Dani Pettrey – 4 Stars
Happy New Year
2016 Recap: The Best, The Worst, and Stats That Only I Will Care About
The Candy Book Tag
Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Underrated Books
Reviewing the Unreviewed: January 2017
Leigh Bardugo announces new book
As a fan of both The Grisha and Six of Crows series, I was excited to hear that Bardugo is writing another book in the Grishaverse. This book is called The Language of Thorns and it’s a collection of short stories and folk tales set in the Grisha world. Am I the only one massively disappointed by this??? I don’t really care about short stories to be honest. And if there’s more stories to be told in the Grishaverse I want a Sturmhond/Kaz spinoff!!!
Looking Forward to February:
I have reviews for Making Faces and The Young Wives Club scheduled. I’m looking forward to having the day off on President’s Day. Other than that, nothing is really sticking out. Winter in Ohio is nothing to look forward to.
This week’s Top 5 Wednesday (hosted by the Good Reads group of the same name) is: Current Favorites that Aren’t Books. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from books and talk about some other things you’ve been obsessed with. These all don’t have to be in the same category. Mix it up! What TV shows have you been enjoying, makeup you’ve been wearing, food you’ve been eating, etc.??
1. Riverdale. There’s only been one episode so far, but I think I found my next guilty pleasure show. Did it have more than a few cheesy moments? Yes. Did I kind of love every second of it? Yes! Who else is watching? Can we please talk about it?
2. My iPhone waterfall case. I had a really old model of the iPhone until recently. There was a big sale going on and I got a new phone at a great price. I decided to go with basically the girliest phone ever – rose gold phone and a pink waterfall case. I honestly spend more time turning my phone up and down watching the glitter than I spend using my phone.
3. 2017 Honda Civic. I recently decided to lease this car. It is the first time I have ever had a new car and I love it. There’s lots of techy stuff that I haven’t quite gotten a handle on yet, but I’ll get to it. My previous car was a 2002 on it’s last leg and this car is like a dream compared to it.
4. Rhodes Cinnamon Rolls. This is horrible for my diet…but sometimes you just need a cinnamon roll and these are fantastic.
5. Mission BBQ. This is my new favorite restaurant. The food is good and I always feel so patriotic eating there. If you happen do be there during lunch, they play the National Anthem everyday at noon. All business stops and everyone stands up, many singing along.
What are some of your current favorite things?